Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's supposed to be like that

I really like to bake, and have actually worked as a baker and in a very creative pastry shop, and though I unfortunately have never had much to do with the decorating process, my experiences (and years of ginger bread house designing) have left me with enough skills to fare at least decent in the bread and pastry area.

Nevertheless, every time I make brownies my suegra nicely consoles me after once again she thinks my cake has failed to rise.

"They're supposed to be like that" is often not a very convincing argument.

So you can bet I was nervous about making red velvet cake, because often my baking does not go over with people who do not like flavor experimentation or change. Cream cheese frosting and bright red batter were sure to be either a strong hit or miss in a country where the majority of pastries have a striking similarity to white bread.



First our Brazilian guests showed up just in time for the taste testing. They always like my cooking and this went down no different. They loved the uniqueness and the rich creamy frosting and wanted to take home a recipe.

Then my boyfriend's family and our various Chilean friends started showing up. We cut the cake and handed out pieces. I sensed that in general people liked it, but verbally all I heard over and over again was various versions of the observation "its red."

"Yes, it is red," I replied all night. In the end, that was the idea, so maybe I should just take it as a compliment.

6 comments:

  1. I love baking too! I have no experience working in a pastry shop, just endless afternoons with my Mom baking whatever. It's funny because actually I've been planning to try to make red velvet cake this weekend. I've never made it before and I'm really excited to try it out.

    Oh and whenever I make brownies the comment is: "Are they raw? Did you cook them enough?" because I make them really gooey. But then the second comment is usually: "These are delicious."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, wait, wait. RED VELVET CAKE!!! I haven't had a red velvet cupcake in almost 3 years and your picture just made me drool a little. Maybe you can share your recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha... well i would love to share a family recipe passed down through generations... but what i really did was google "red velvet cream cheese frosting" and click on the foodnetwork.com page. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

    with regular milk with a touch of vinegar instead of buttermilk.

    no complaints, though, it was taaaasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks tasty, it reminds me of a carrot cake my mom used to make, and she had those comments too ("It´s orange!").
    Milk and vinegar... I wonder how it tastes like... I´m going now to the fridge, to find out.xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh! I can just imagine what must've been going through their minds! Cake is not supposed to be red--it's just supposed to have tons of sweet goo! (I bet they're secretly googling the recipe too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was in Chile I cooked a carrot cake for my host family... they all gave me really weird looks at first ("a cake made of CARROTS?!?!") but then they loved it and even asked me to make it again! Sounds kind of like your story :)

    ReplyDelete