Friday, April 30, 2010

Banana Peel Shoes

I'm the type of person that can't make a serious face if I try. Noticing that, one of my coworkers tried to give me a lesson once on doing the "evil eye," a lesson I failed, of course, as the furthest I get is a giggle and maybe a slight eyebrow twitch.

Anyway I have this pair of flats that have a sort of hard plastic sole. They work fine everywhere except gravel, on which they tend to skid. Unfortunately I figured this out through a process of trial and error... the error being multiple wipe-out mishaps of varying degrees of height, distance, and grace.

I'm stubborn, so of course when I finally came to terms with the fact that its the shoes and not just many clumsy cooincidences, I continued to wear them anyway. Until... walking down the road I live on, I pulled the most EPIC of tumbles, landing on my ass, scraping up my arms, and calling the attention of a handful of people nearby. Of course, as has happened nearly every single time something unfortunate happens to me in Chile, everybody stared and did nothing to help. I went to work dripping blood from my palms, and cursed the shoes, later throwing them in the closet for a few months.

But putting clothes in the closet for a long time eventually sparks my curiousity and doubt, figuring "it cant really be that bad, can it?" even though I know better deep down. So I ventured out on Saturday, wearing the same flats again, thinking about my major blooper as I passed down my street. But careful baby steps did nothing to lessen the magnitude of a complete reinactment of the origional fall, right at the exact same spot as before. It happened in slow motion, I swear. First my foot skidded foreward off the step and out from under me, extending higher into the air as my body followed, landing with a huge thud a few steps below.

After one second of shock used to realize I was alive and catch my breath, I burst out laughing, because, well... it was funny. And though I didn't land in any of Valparaiso's trademark canine landmines, the situaiton wasn't much better.

Then something entirely unexpected happened: Someone stopped and asked if I was OK. I was, so, again slightly dripping blood from a few points, I got up and continued on my way,this time smiling for the random act of kindness I have found to be so uncommon.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting to hear that those basic gestures of humanity aren't only void in places such as here! Of course, it does vary, but you're right - it comes up far too often and people just glance and walk away to avoid contact moreso. Frightening thing is that even I have started to slip into this from time to time. Keep up that smile - it's unsettling when it starts to fade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to toss those shoes! Glad you had a sense of humor about it. Years ago I once did a real slapstick-style, feet in the air, banana-peel slip off a curb while carrying a take-out of Japanese noodles. You can imagine the rest... Not much but my pride was hurt as I stood there covered in noodles and wishing someone had been there to laugh it off with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh, I agree with Margaret. Those shoes sound like bad news, especially in Valpo. I love how someone actually stopped and asked you if you were okay instead of just gawking. Am I jaded? Yes, probably.

    ReplyDelete