Sunday, October 4, 2009

Carnaval de Mil Tambores= awesome

Like I predicted, this weekend was pretty sweet.

On Friday afternoon friends started showing up at our house to get ready for the parade. It didn’t actually take that long but of course being Chile nothing happens on time ever, no matter what.

We made it down towards the start of the parade and then started going off in separate directions, interacting with different groups and spectators. Tons of people wanted to take pictures with me… I’m not too popular normally (if I were, that wouldn’t have mattered much anyway because very few people actually recognized me unless I stopped and looked directly at them) but… I’ll have to admit I made a pretty cute payasa for the parade. ;-)


The parade itself lasted foreeeever, as groups would stop along the way to do performances, dances, or special talents. It started at 5 and lasted at least 4 hours.

(my boyfriend and a good payaso friend)

(neat dragon breath photo)

(me jumping in to play Capoeira)

Some of the most impressive groups in the parade are those with extravagant costumes, and those with none at all, i.e. the people who paint their bodies. Everyone looks gorgeous with their bodies painted, but the majority are women… its rather funny to see the huge crowd of men and photographers following them around. The newspapers looove publishing photos of the topless painted girls the next day, which, due to the thick paint, ironically makes them some of the least exposed women that show up in Chilean press.
(Painted bodies- without realizing until I uploaded the pictures, I didn’t even realize I actually took photos of my boyfriend’s cousin and a coworker. So, sorry for putting you half naked on the internet!)
(another group with neat costumes)

After the parade, one of the main streets of Valparaiso turns into a huuuuge party packed with people drinking, dancing, playing music, etc… Its absolutely crazy and stays that way all night. We had to rush off to Vina though because my boyfriend had a performance. It was fun until it lasted though.

(pololos payasos)


[EDIT: The original transferred post continued on to talk about a concert, which was rather disgusting and I am not going to repost]

6 COMMENTS:

Renée said...

I give you credit for staying as long as you did at the concert! That sounds gross!!

But on a lighter note, the parade looked so fun and the pictures of you are so cute!!!

Annje said...

Hilarious comment about the painted women being the least exposed... haha. It sounds like you had mostly a good time, but the last part sound horrifying!

lydia said...

annje- its true! hahah. my favorite story about that- a long time ago, when i first came to this observation, i thought i'd awkwardly caught my friend's dad with a dirty magazine... turns out he was reading the newspaper!

renee- thanks! i quite like how my hair (ok sssshhh don't tell, it was a wig) turned out! And someone lent me the perfect nose.

Everything was pretty awesome except the sanitation at that place. ick! if i would have been drunk as some of the other people maybe i wouldn't have minded as much. The parade is amazing. its one of my favorite valparaiso things of all time.

Eileen said...

wow, this looks amazing. Does it happen every year? I'd love to catch that parade next year (as a spectator, and fully clothed). You guys look very happy, and I'm sure you are quite the photo prop! cool tights!

I love how everyone has a different Chile! Yours is so colorful!

Mamacita Chilena said...

How freaking fun!!!! The parade, not the second part. You look awesome in your payaso costume, btw.

lydia said...

Eileen- YES! its always been the first week of october that i can remember. the posters this year said its the 10th annual celebration.

Spectator?! Where's the fun in that ;-) Actually my favorite part is to take pictures because everything is really cool, but now that my camera's not that great and it starts to get dark soon it kinda ruins some of the fun in that. Speaking of all the colors... i think my camera was on the "vivid" setting by accident, which might explain some of that, because my red hair was kinda too much for the camera in a few shotshaha. ...but in general, well, Valpo is pretty colorful!
... that's its charm, right?

Kyle- thanks! Yeah the parade was a blast. Its by far one of my favorite things in this city.

Actually, about that bad concert situation.... A friend of ours came over last night and told us about his experience there, which was much much worse than mine...
He had gone to the concert with a girl who usually wears a head wrap/scarf thing on her head. Anyway someone threw a bottle at her head really hard and luckily for her she didn't probably have anything more than a concussion or something but no cuts because her head was protected by the cloth... but the bottle shattered on her head and one of the large shards went straight into the chest of our friend and he had to go to the hospital and get exrays and stitches and everything because it was pretty deep.
Crazy scary, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment